Preparing For Your Pet For Spay or Neuter
Please be advised that in order to qualify for a free surgery for your pet you must present the following AT THE TIME OF INTAKE:
1) Proof of NYC residency. (For example: Driver's Liscense, NYS ID) ****PLEASE NOTE: Passports are NOT an acceptable form of ID to prove NYC residency!!****
2) Proof of Public Assistance. (For example: Medicaid, SSD, SSI, Food Stamps, Medicare, Public Housing, etc)
YOU MUST PROVIDE BOTH DOCUMENTS TO THE TOBY PROJECT GREETER DURING INTAKE.
**NO EXCEPTIONS AS THIS IS A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT OF OUR FUNDER!!**
We appreciate your cooperation. Thank you.
The Toby Project operates on the honor system. Our resources are meant solely for people who truly cannot afford to have their pets spayed or neutered. If you can afford to bring your pet to a regular veterinary clinic for spay/neuter, please make that choice.
For Those Receiving Public Assistance: If you qualify for and pursue a FREE surgery with The Toby Project, yet can truly afford to bring your pet to a regular vet clinic, we will ask that you to make a donation of $100. By doing so, our financial resources will not be wasted.
|PET SPAY/NEUTER||WITH PROOF OF PUBLIC ASSISTANCE||NO PUBLIC ASSISTANCE|
|MIXED BREED DOGS||FREE||$60|
PURE BREED & DESIGNER DOGS (defined as a dog born of two purebred parents)
|PURE BREED CATS||FREE||$250|
- RABIES AND DISTEMPER VACCINATIONS: $8 each for ALL pets
- Vaccinations are given only with spay/neuter surgery
- Our medical team will determine whether your dog is considered a "purebreed" or "designer" dog
- You must take away all food and water by midnight on the night before surgery.
- Your pet must be healthy
- Your pet must be between the ages of 4 months and 5 years
- Your pet must not be excessively overweight
- Your pet must not be less than 4 lbs. body weight
- Your pet must NOT be brachycephalic (Pugs, Pekingese, French Bulldogs and English Bulldogs) because of issues pertaining to safety.
Arrival Information & Procedure
Our services are on a first-come, first-served basis. We do NOT take appointments.
Please bring with you:
- Photo ID -- ****PLEASE NOTE: Passports are NOT an acceptable form of ID to prove NYC residency!!****
- Proof of Public Assistance if you qualify for Public Assistance (Welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, Public housing, SSI, Food Stamps, Disability)
- A Toby Project greeter will be at the location, often before the van arrives, at a line and wait, even if you dont see the van, with no more than 2 pets. Service is on a first-come, first-served basis and the number of pets taken each day is limited. While pitbulls will be given priority, it's very important that you still arrive by to ensure our greeter sees you when they start intake. If you arrive later than , we cannot guarantee a spot on our truck, as intake may already be completed. to begin the check-in process. Please arrive between Also note that many of our locations are busy and people often fall in line ahead of time, starting as early as . While we are not suggesting this arrival time, the earlier you arrive, the better your chances are of getting on our truck. We have 17 cages, therefore spots are limited. Once you arrive, form
- You will be asked to fill out a form authorizing The Toby Project to perform the surgery. You will then be asked basic questions about your pet. A nurse will perform an exam.
- You will then leave your pet with us and return for pickup in the afternoon. We will be as specific as possible about the pick-up time.
- Cat owners are required to bring a cat carrier that closes and latches properly for each cat. (Cardboard boxes are not acceptable.)
At pick-up, you will receive instructions regarding:
- How to care for your pet while still drowsy
- How to monitor the wound
- How to give the provided pain-relieving medication
- How to prevent your pet from licking or chewing at the wound
- Who to call if you have emergency concerns about the surgery
- You must be a New York City resident of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens or Staten Island
- It is not required that you be on public assistance
- These free and low-cost services are meant ONLY for those who truly cannot afford to have their pet spayed/neutered at a veterinary clinic. We appreciate your compliance with this policy.
- Designer Breeds are dogs that were the result of a purposeful breeding between two purebred dogs. For the purposes of cost, they are NOT mixed breeds.
- We provide a free or low-cost service.
- Donations are accepted at the mobile clinic.
- Please donate if you can.